GL Garrad Hassan (GL GH) is the world’s largest independent technical and engineering consultancy for renewable energy, serving the onshore and offshore wind, wave, tidal and solar sectors. From its offices across the globe, it offers a full service to stakeholders at all stages of the renewable energy project lifecycle which includes engineering, consultancy services, industry standard technology products and professional training courses.
GL Garrad Hassan is looking to recruit a Civil Engineer I in the GL GH North Civil Engineering Group. The Civil Engineer I will be responsible for a wide range of civil engineering duties for utility grade wind and solar power generation projects in support of the Independent Engineering, Environmental/Permitting, and Project Development Groups of GL Garrad Hassan North America, and other areas as the need may arise. Investor Services include due diligence assessments, with clients that are often financial companies relying upon the report as part of their investment decision making process, as well as project owners and contractors as an initial assessment of proposed foundation concepts. Developer Services (Owner’s Engineering) include site investigation services, procurement services, and construction services.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Conduct detailed technical review and independent assessment of civil construction documentation including:
- Drawings and specifications;
- Design calculations and studies – including parallel calculations for structural design of foundations;
- Construction submittals;
- Test documentation;
- Construction QA/QC documentation;
- Conduct construction monitoring inspections of projects to verify compliance with:
- Construction plans and specifications;
- Applicable code requirements and standards and good construction practice;
- Develop conceptual designs and technical specifications, manage and review tenders, and support contract negotiations on behalf of clients;
- Write detailed reports of reviews and inspections;
- Evaluate proposed, and make recommendations for, remediation of construction issues that arise;
- Lead or participate in meetings and conference calls with developers, investors, lenders, contractors, and engineers regarding technical reviews and construction issues;
- Track and monitor project documentation, review and inspection status;
- Participate in relevant industry groups including Canadian Wind Energy Association, Canadian Society for Civil Engineering, and others, in order to:
- Increase knowledge of technical, standards, and regulatory issues;
- Represent GL GH in industry forums;
- Mentor less-experienced civil engineers.
The Civil Engineer I will be responsible for supporting multiple projects simultaneously with the ability to independently manage own priorities and workload. With minimal direction, the position will be responsible for communicating and resolving technical issues with Clients; and for addressing concerns and issues of the Client related to the project, placing a premium on the Client’s time. The position is required to understand a broad range of structural engineering concepts including concrete foundation analysis, design and associated codes; and/or geotechnical engineering concepts including shallow and deep foundation design, ground improvement techniques, settlement analyses, and evaluation of geotechnical hazards; and/or permitting requirements including environmental, regulatory and building, and construction services such as specification, tender, and procurement management, and construction/quality management.
The position requires familiarity with related disciplines involved in wind power project construction including theory and practical knowledge of mechanical and electrical engineering. Detailed knowledge of, or ability to deduce, such technical details without technical specialist assistance is not required. However, the successful candidate must be able to grasp such details and articulate them to lay persons.
Demonstrated capability with:
- Analysis and design of reinforced concrete and steel structures from a structural engineering standpoint including detailed knowledge of high cycle fatigue analysis for reinforced concrete structures;
- Reading and interpreting construction documents with an understanding of requirements and associated quality control aspects, with ability to monitor, communicate, and manage the execution;
- Field experience in evaluating as-built conditions with respect to intended designs in consideration of structural, geotechnical, and environmental requirements, with ability to facilitate resolution of issues with engineers, contractors, owners, and regulatory authorities;
- Calculation tools such as Mathcad;
- Structural finite element analyses such as SAP, GT-STRUDL, SAFE and ANSYS.
- Fluent in Microsoft Office products;
- Fluent in English – spoken and written (French helpful);
- Proficient writing and communication skills, including ability to effectively communicate complex engineering and construction issues to lay individuals and groups;
- Able to establish and maintain good relations with clients;
- Self-starter with ability to schedule and prioritize tasks.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE:
- Masters of Science Civil (Structural) Engineering;
- 5+ years of applicable experience
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS:
- Registered Professional Engineer in at least one Canadian Province.
- Valid driver’s license and acceptable MVR;
- Ability to travel internationally.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS AND WORK ENVIRONMENT: The physical demands and work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Able to sit for long periods of time; some of the work for this position will be performed at a desk.
- Repetitive tasks, typing, sitting and interacting with computers and computer systems (including hardware and software) part of time.
- Working in an indoor, environmentally controlled environment when in office.
- Able to occasionally lift 20 lbs.
- Walk over rough or slippery terrain as experienced on heavy construction sites;
- Work in inclement weather conditions as experienced in Canada.
- Requires the willingness and availability to travel up to 25% of time for periods of a week or more at a time. Optional extended construction site assignment may be offered.
GL Garrad Hassan North America is an equal opportunity employer and values diversity in the work place.
TO APPLY: All applicants must complete an online application.
Please use the following link to complete the application:
Please do not call. Only selected candidates will be contacted.
GL Garrad Hassan