Development Manager (Canada)
EDF EN Canada, a subsidiary of EDF Energies Nouvelles, was incorporated in 2008. In just two years, EDF EN Canada has pioneered project management and site implementation for key wind and solar opportunities in Canada. Our installed solar capacity is expanding, with 60 MW operating at the end of 2010 and an additional 12 MW planned to be in service by the end of 2011. Wind capacity contracted between EDF EN Canada and Hydro Quebec, which is currently under construction, will exceed 1,000 MW in the period 2012-15.
Scope of Position:
The Development Manager (DM) is responsible for leading and coordinating key functions and activities of development staff related to the identification and development of projects from early and mid-stage origination through to late stage development to ensure a smooth transition into construction.
The DM will engage in project origination activities, manage early stage project development and early stage opportunities, and fill the role of project manager on projects in late stages of development as well as provide oversight and guidance to development staff as needed. The DM will be required to work closely with landowners, consultants, vendors, project purchasers, project lenders, government entities, regional staff and corporate headquarters. In all cases the work will involve close coordination and oversight of regional staff and/or independent contractors and will require excellent communication skills.
|Reports to:||Vice President, Development
60% of the time is spent in the office environment utilizing computers (frequent use of MS Word, MS Excel, MS Project, MS Power Point, etc.), telephones and general office equipment. 40% of the time is spent in the field traveling to project sites, visiting project purchasers, meeting with regulatory agencies, and Canadian head office (if appropriate).
- Identify and assess new potential joint venture partners, project acquisition opportunities and green field opportunities.
- Participate with the team to develop and manage a pipeline of projects from early/late stage origination into development and construction.
- Effectively manage project activities to ensure schedule and budget objectives are achieved.
- Coordinate feasibility studies and project development activities with cross functional resources, peers, and outside consultants to ensure project development stays on track.
- Negotiate land rights acquisition with landowners and address land use issues.
- Manage environmental permitting to attain completion and receipt of all permits.
- Identify and communicate all project risks and develop mitigation strategies for internal stakeholders.
- Prepare and present detailed project analysis to key internal stakeholders.
- Identify, communicate and develop relationships with all external stakeholders; effectively communicate with a range of personalities, including land owners, partners, government officials, First Nations technical experts, customers, utilities, and consultants.
- Coordinate the completion of all development tasks and preparation of all materials and information for a smooth transition of a project into the construction phase.
- Act as a clearinghouse for questions from the Financing and EPC teams once the responsibility for the daily management of a project has been transferred.
- Engage in review of financial models, proposal writing and due diligence activities.
- Other duties and responsibilities as assigned by Management or his/her designee.
- BS or BA Degree.
- 3-5 years of experience in energy project development or renewable energy.
- Available to travel, as needed.
- Strong and clear interpersonal and written communication skills and the ability to work effectively with varied stakeholders.
- Detail oriented, creative, intuitive, accurate, hard working, professional.
- Proficient in Microsoft Suite products.
- Ability to work as a team player, and simultaneously as a self-starter.
- Ability to operate at a detailed level, to organize and multi-task, with a dedication to seeing projects through to completion.
Applicants can apply to firstname.lastname@example.org
EDF Energies Nouvelle