SENIOR STRUCTURAL ENGINEER
GL Garrad Hassan is the world's largest renewable energy consultancy. As part of our service offerings, the company offers independent technical and engineering services, products, and training courses to the solar, onshore and offshore wind, wave, and tidal energy sectors worldwide.
As Senior Structural Engineer you'll join a team of civil and geotechnical engineers in the Civil Engineering Group. Your primary responsibilities will be focused on reviewing the design specifications and plans for foundations for utility grade wind and solar power developments. The Sr. Structural Engineer role requires demonstrated competence in structural engineering concepts including fatigue analysis of reinforced concrete.
At GL GH a project due diligence review addresses all aspects of the energy plant including the turbines or solar panels, the electrical substations, the service roads, the energy resource assessments, and review of the various contracts and financial models. As Senior Structural Engineer your core responsibilities will be components of these works that are in the arena of civil engineering, and chiefly structural engineering. You will perform independent calculations to determine foundation fitness for purpose and general building code compliance. You may be asked to review other civil designs in the context of wind or solar energy plant components. The Senior Structural Engineer must be able to infer design and construction competence from review of a variety of documents, data, and visual inspection in order to make recommendations and position statements to clients on behalf of the company.
- Conduct detailed technical review and independent assessment of civil construction documentation including:
- Foundation plans, specifications, calculations, and studies
- Construction submittals and material testing documentation
- Construction logs and QA/QC documentation
- Conduct construction monitoring inspections of projects to verify compliance with:
- Construction plans and specifications
- Applicable code requirements and standards and good construction practice
- Conduct finite element analysis of turbine foundation structures.
- Originate detailed reports of reviews and inspections following GL GH reporting style and formats.
- Evaluate and make recommendations regarding construction issues that arise in the field.
- Lead meetings and conference calls with developers, investors, lenders, and clients' engineers regarding technical reviews and construction issues.
- Track and monitor wind and solar construction project documentation, reviews and inspections.
- Develop/mentor other civil engineering team members.
- Apply for and maintain PE licensure in several states (including an NCEES record).
- Travel up to 25% in generally 2-3 day trips. Ability to travel internationally as required.
Demonstrated expertise and performance involving:
- 7 – 10 + years of progressively responsible applicable experience in reinforced concrete design, consulting engineering or directly related activity utilizing required technical skills.
- Structural analysis and design of reinforced concrete and steel structures.
- Knowledge of US engineering design codes (ACI, IBC,PTI, DNV, Eurocodes, GL Rules)
- Field compliance evaluation of structural and geotechnical elements.
- Detailed knowledge of fatigue and applicable standards in reinforced concrete structures.
- Detailed knowledge and skill with calculation tools including Excel and MathCAD.
- Proficiency in finite element analysis for reinforced concrete structures.
Expanded Preferred Qualifications
- Expertise with finite element analyses tools such as SAFE and ANSYS.
- Working understanding of geotechnical applications such as L-Pile, GROUP, and FLAC3D.
- Knowledge of ASCE 7-05, IEC 61400-2, Eurocodes, CEB-FIP Model Code, DNV Standards.
- Site development and road design experience.
- Advanced level skills with Microsoft Office products, Excel, Word, and PowerPoint.
- Demonstrated written and verbal English communication skill proficiency effectively communicating complex engineering issues to lay individuals.
- Able to establish and maintain quality professional relationships with clients.
- Well organized, self directed work habits with a demonstrated ability to prioritize and schedule tasks managing multiple projects simultaneously in a dynamic environment.
- Interest and ability to develop/mentor other civil engineering team members.
Educational and License Requirement
- Master of Science in Civil Engineering (emphasis on structures) or international equivalent.
- Bachelor of Science in Civil Engineering or comparable course of study from an accredited University.
- Verifiable license as a Professional Civil Engineer/ or sufficient PE references to apply for NCESS record.
- Valid driver's license and acceptable motor vehicle record.
- Ability to travel internationally.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS AND WORK ENVIRONMENT: The physical demands and work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The employee must be able to:
- Walk over rough or slippery terrain as experienced on heavy construction sites;
- Work in inclement weather conditions as experienced in the United States and Canada;
- Sit for extended periods as required for typical office work.
For consideration send resume and cover letter in confidence
to GL Garrad Hassan's contracted search agent
This job description is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, skills, and working conditions. It is intended to be an accurate reflection of those principal job elements essential for making fair pay decisions about the job.
In no event shall the job description be construed to represent a contract of employment. The Company maintains "at-will" employment, where either party is free to dissolve the relationship at any time.
GL Garrad Hassan